Social has been leading the way with customer-level targeting, with Facebook taking the lead amongst other social ad networks thanks to their high volume of users and complex ad targeting capabilities. Facebook has 1.55 billion monthly active users, with 1.31 billion active on mobile. Their ability to customize creative and messaging based on the user combined with user-level tracking (think cross-device) makes the network an attractive option for placing ads.
Since Facebook’s ad targeting is based on user’s profiles, as opposed to a keyword which we target with paid search ads, advertisers can ensure their messages are tailored to the individual, creating relevancy and a better experience for the user.
Facebook’s targeting options include:
- Custom Audiences: Upload lists of email addresses, phone numbers, Facebook user IDs or app user IDs to create and save audiences to which you’d like to serve ads.
- Lookalike Audiences: Expand custom audiences with lookalikes to target people who share traits with your customers.
- Demographics: Choose the location, age, gender and language of the audience you want to reach.
- Interests: Choose specific interests that are important to your audience. These are determined by what people are connected to on Facebook, such as Pages and apps.
- Behaviors: Select people based on purchase behaviors or intents, device usage and more.
- Connections: Select your audience based on whether or not they’re connected to any of your Pages, apps or events, as well as friends of these connections.
- Remarketing: Create website custom audiences to re-engage users who have previously visited your site.
These targeting options can be layered, allowing advertisers to get as granular or as broad as they wish when creating Facebook ads. The capability to segment these audiences, and then target them with different ad types as they move down the path to purchase, is significant and has paved the path for other networks to test similar features. Google recently introduced their Customer Match product, which mirrors Facebook’s Custom Audiences, which is an exciting release for Adlucent as we have been eager to implement the individual-focused strategies that we have been developing for years.
By focusing on the customer and your acquisition strategy, you’ll deliver a much richer shopping experience that has a lasting impact.
For more information on Adlucent’s customer-serving services for Facebook, Search, Display, and more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.